Contrary Polish "Cocoon Galaxy" and "Solar Flare" - April PPU 2018
New to Polish Pickup?
- THIS MONTH'S THEME: Across the Universe
- HOW TO BUY: You can purchase this and polishes from other makers on the Polish Pickup website starting April 6th at 11 AM EST through April 9th at midnight EST.
- "Cocoon Galaxy" magnetic nail polish: $13, no cap (comes with one magnet)
- "Solar Flare" tinted lip balm: $6, no cap
All photos in this post are taken under artificial light. Swatches are topped with Glisten & Glow HK Girl topcoat. These products were provided for my honest review.
Cocoon Galaxy Inspiration
Cocoon Galaxy Nail Polish Swatches
Maker description: a muted periwinkle with pink shimmer, holo microflakes, and antique gold magnetic shimmer.
Notes from the maker: I love how the effect looks when you hold the magnet lengthwise to the nail, but holding the magnet diagonally looks pretty cool too! This isn’t one of those magnetic polishes where you will get a strong pattern to show up on your nail; the magnetic effect presents as diffused antique gold shimmer floating on top of the rest of the polish and appearing to move across the nail in the light.
Every polish will come with either a cat eye or neodymium magnet.
2 coats + topcoat
My thoughts: My very first magnetic polish!! I was really excited to try this, and I have to say, it was just as easy as the two videos I watched made it seem. I painted one normal coat on all nails, let it dry, then one nail at a time, painted a thicker second coat, and while still wet, held the magnet above the nail, very close but not touching, for about 15 seconds. When you pull the magnet away, you'll see the design. Just topcoat and you're done! Great formula, no issues at all.
Pointer & middle finger: Cat Eye magnet
- I held the magnet perfectly straight over the nail.
- It gives a soft, diffused look, almost like a marble.
Ring & pinky: Neodymium magnet
- I held the magnet diagonally across each nail.
- This is my favorite treatment, since it looks like a mini galaxy on each nail.
- I also find the effect is more noticeable with this magnet.
Solar Flare Inspiration
Inspired by this NASA pic of a coronal mass ejection from the surface of the sun, "Solar Flare" just has a nicer ring to it. :)
Solar Flare Tinted Lip Balm Swatches
Maker description: orangey-red tinted balm with a sunny lemon flavor (lemon zest, mandarin orange, and a creamy sugary base).
The formula is very similar to the “Gummy Bear Kisses” tinted balm (sheer but buildable) with two differences:
- it is just a bit firmer so it is more compatible with a variety of climates
- and it has been formulated without sweet almond oil in consideration to those with allergies
My thoughts: Just like Gummy Bear Kisses, I found this shade very wearable and versatile. Don't let "orangey" scare you! You can really layer these tinted balms to get the amount of color you prefer. I typically wear just one coat for a more subtle wash of color, but you can get great color payoff in just 2-3 coats. I think I prefer Gummy Bear Kisses (cooler) on myself, but it's hard to choose. I included an arm swatch comparison of the two below.
You can purchase "Cocoon Galaxy" magnetic polish and "Solar Flare" tinted lip balm on the Polish Pickup website starting April 6th at 11 AM EST through April 9th at midnight EST.
Thanks for reading!